I’ve been taking a lot of deep breaths lately. Seems I have been in the midst of a lot of extra stress. Things like…
- A two-day car trip from Atlanta while I had the stomach bug and I was driving
- Unpacking and repacking trying to get settled
- Professional speaking engagements as soon as I returned
- Car trouble
- Family events and commitments
- Planning for a community event
So I’ve been taking lots of deep breaths. I love this simple de-stress technique. It requires no special equipment except lungs. It takes only a few minutes and can be done anywhere. No one even knows you are doing it and you feel so much better afterwards – no sweat, no work out clothes to wash and no need to reapply makeup.
One of the things I love to do with my deep breathing is to focus on what I need on the inhale and exhale. For example, on the inhale I say to myself “slow” and on the exhale “down”. Or, inhale “you’ve”, exhale”got this”. Taking the breaths in deeply and holding them for a slow count of four and exhaling the same way allows me to think about what I want to achieve. The end result is my mind and body get in synch. Oh and make sure the inhales fill your chest and your belly expands.